13 July 2009

Documentary Evidence - Bits & Pieces

Some original documents of the McIlmoyl(e) family have existed over the past 30-odd years. I'm wondering if they still exist. Here are some that I know DID exist as I had/have transcriptions of them.

1766 Religious Census of Ahoghill Parish, County Antrim - available at ancestry.com or from Family History Library by ordering in the film
1774 Passage Receipt for the families' passage from Ireland
1774 Character reference for John McIlmoyl from his local minister (who is the same one who conducted & signed the 1766 Religious Census)
1890 Family Tree by John O'Donoghue McIlmoyl which has been preserved and scanned plus there is a typed transcription - I have copies of both

Anyone know of the whereabouts of any of these (except John O's Tree)? There are also a few letters of which I have transcripts which can be very informative and/or interesting as well. Do you have or know of a family member who has any letters from previous generations that might be of interest to us? These are some of the things I'd like to include in the book.

How far back do your family photos go? I have photos of James Dysart McIlmoyl, his wife Clarissa McFarland and some of their children. That's as far as mine go. What about photos of tombstones? Do you have some? Are you looking for some? Would you like to share them? We can set up an album on Google/Picasa where we can share these if you let me know that you'd be interested.

Progress on 'The Book'.....well, I think I've figured a logical way of dividing up the 3 volumes.....which was a major job in and of itself. I've written the Dedication and the Introduction to each of the 3 volumes and I've now got the beginning of Volume I drafted which gets JT from Edwardsburgh to Victoria to Yale. I know, I know, that's only a couple of months but it's a start, right?

Here's my proposed volume contents:

Vol I Start with JT progressing to his descendants (JT’s children - 12 & to grandchildren then just number of children & sex for further living descendants). Then bring it around to John & Mary; Thomas to James Dysart.

Vol 2 could be Archibald, James, Samuel & John Jr. (little known of either), & Mary

Vol 3 Hugh & Jane plus Archibald McElmoyle & sibs.

Include to 3g-grandchildren of John & Mary - e.g. in my line, JT's grandchildren then just # & sex of living 4g-grandchildren and further with no names.

Does that make sense to you? Hugh's line is clearly the largest while Jane's isn't so large and, I'm not sure about Archibald of McE line. Volume 2 may have some extra room if it looks like I need to move Jane's line to that Volume.

We got success last weekend with the stray I posted - I've found with whom he belongs. I have more for next weekend. If you have some, let me know.

8-)
JoanMC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, especially from those wishing to participate in the project. They will not appear immediately as this comment section is moderated by me to avoid the ever present spam.