09 July 2009

A McIlmoyl(e) Family Reunion?

So, in the process of emailing new found cousins and re-connecting with others, the idea of a family reunion occurred to me (perhaps what one might call a psychotic moment?). Having been involved in organizing such an event as well as attending a couple, I know how much is involved. So, I made the suggestion of aiming for 2012 as a possibility. This was thought to be rather too far ahead by at least one cousin who is concerned that we're all aging (are we? Naw, surely not) so perhaps should hold it sooner. I have 2 volunteers to help organize it and would like to hear what the various family members think about the concept first of all and, secondly, is 2012 too far ahead? Do let me know......

In doing some further work on my outline of the McIlmoyl(e) Family books, I can see that the project is going to involve at least 3 volumes!!! My intent is to start the first volume with my great-grandfather, JT McIlmoyl who will give me a good launch back to John & Mary, their children and some details on Thomas' family and, in particular, his son James Dysart, my 2g-grandfather. This will more than fill the first volume. In the second one, I would likely focus on Archibald & family, James & Mary plus their families as well as what little I'll have on Samuel and John. For the third volume, Hugh & Jane's families would be featured as well as Archibald McElmoyle, his siblings who came to North America and whatever I can find of their descendants. In most instances, I'll go to the 3 great-grandchildren of John & Mary (unless they're still living) and for more recent generations I would simply include the number and sex of each family, e.g. Joe & Susie had 3 boys and 2 girls who are still living.

What I'm really interested in is some family stories that should be preserved. Here's a small example: From a letter written by Harriet (Hattie) Falkner Gilbert, d/o Mary Elizabeth McIlmoyl (d/o James Dysart McIlmoyl & Clarissa McFarland) & Asa H. Falkner on Sept 9, 1930 while visiting her 'Uncle James' being my g-grandfather, JT for his 90th birthday.

"He was 90 years old on the 24th August of this year. They had a great celebrtion on Sat. the 23rd. All his children, grandchildren (except one) great-grandchildren (five of them) two sons-in-law and three daughters-in-law came to his home and surprised him. there were thirty-five here besides Uncle James. They brought him numerous presents, had refreshments and a jolly time; stayed until about 1 a.m. The night before, his Lodge, A.O.U.W. (Ancient Order of United Workmen) of which he has been grand secretary of this district for 35 years, had a gathering in his honour at their hall, and presented him with a wonderful chair which cost $100.00."

This letter was sent to Hattie's cousin Nellie, d/o Jane McIlmoyl (d/o James Dysart McIlmoyl & Clarissa McFarland) & Nicholas Shaver

The chair, a recliner, which was the gift above, is still in regular use, having been my father's up to hi s death and then my mother's until recently.

Looking forward to hearing some opinions on the possibility of a McIlmoyl(e) Family Reunion, pehaps in 2012.......

8-)
JoanMC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, especially from those wishing to participate in the project. They will not appear immediately as this comment section is moderated by me to avoid the ever present spam.