18 July 2009

JAMES McILMOYL S/O JOHN & MARY

Well, I've certainly not had much response regarding a possible McIlmoyl(e) Family Reunion. At this time, I'm only sure of 3 other researchers who are actually following this Blog. If you do happen to know of other family researchers, please be sure to let them know of this Blog as that is the whole point of it.

I thought I'd focus on one of John & Mary's sons of whom not a whole lot is known. I've done a little research on him however haven't followed he and his wife up after they apparently left Upper Canada. My focus person today is James.

I found his marriage to Margaret Finney, d/o Peter Finney, U.E. from her land claim.

I also found an interesting land record which may or may not be our James. This was a bargain & sale record and indicates that 'this' James McIlmoyl was a member of the 31st Regiment of Foot – a regular (established) unit of the British Army rather than a Provincial (Loyalist) unit. It may or may not be 'ours'.

Later, I found a statement which was signed by him, part of which led me to believe that he was moving to 'Vermont'.

This was reinforced when I discovered that Margaret and her family were originally from Vermont. I haven't pursued this possibility beyond looking them up in a book I found in the Lost Villages Museum which was called 'Vermont Families in 1791'.

So, I have no idea if they had children, if they actually did move to Vermont and whether they stayed or returned to Canada.

This isn't quite a 'stray' however, it's definitely one of John & Mary's children of whom I certainly don't know a lot. Do any of you have more info on this couple?

8-)
JoanMC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, especially from those wishing to participate in the project. They will not appear immediately as this comment section is moderated by me to avoid the ever present spam.