19 August 2009

John McIlmoyl Sr's Character Reference from 1774

The following was transcribed from the original parchment by my late mother. She was unable to make out all the information about the person who signed it, however at a later date, I found a reference which gave me the likely missing transcription.
I do hereby certifie that the bearer John McIllmoil is a Prottestant of the Established Church and a Parishoner of mine, that he always behaved himself with the utmost Propriety and Educated a Numorous Family in a Christian Manner. Given under my Hand at Portglynone in the Parish of Ahoghill and County of Antrim in Ireland this 15th Day of June 1774. ???? Babington ???? of the Peace


The missing info where the question marks are is: Humph. Babington, Curate, Clerk of the Peace. I was able to fill in these blanks due to the same parish curate having taken the 1766 Religious Census that I have and which Humph. Babington also signed.

So here we have another interestingly different spelling of the name.....

AND....I'm still looking for some info on this week's 'stray', George R. McIlmoyl(e)

8-)
JoanMC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, especially from those wishing to participate in the project. They will not appear immediately as this comment section is moderated by me to avoid the ever present spam.